Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Taxes

I hate taxes. I'm writing this in order to avoid doing my taxes. I got married so I wouldn't have to do taxes myself, and then I had this stupid idea to start a business without thinking about the long term problem : I'd have to do MORE taxes.

If any of you know me really well, you know that I have a horrible fear of banks. I don't like to go into a bank. I used to have to go into the bank, by myself, to deposit money. I was told I was supposed to use the 'deposit slip'.... aka. makes-dana-want-to-cry slip. I'd get to the line that said "Cash less received" and I'd want to run out of their screaming. I had no idea what that meant. I was that kid that could reason with you why A, B, and possibly D were all correct answers on a multiple choice exam. How was I supposed to understand what that statement really meant? I had a check for $100 dollars, i wanted to save some of it and walk out of the bank with some of it. Why did this have to be so hard????

Fortunately, I started banking online. No people, No pressure, No slips. And to this day, if I need to do anything at the bank (ie. get quarters), I play the dumb woman who just walks in with a $20 bill (from the atm outside), and walks up to the counter to ask for quarters. "oh! was i supposed to fill that out? oh i'm sorry! Oh thanks for doing it on my behalf!" I apologize to all bank tellers everywhere.

But back to taxes. The following is the title of the form that I apparently have to fill out...

"Profit or Loss From Business
(Sole Proprietorship) ▶ Partnerships, joint ventures, etc., generally must file Form 1065 or 1065-B.
▶ Attach to Form 1040, 1040NR, or 1041.    ▶ See Instructions for Schedule C (Form 1040)."

You lost me at 'profit or loss'. Then made me anxious at 'Sole Proprietorship'.
I keep wavering in my resolve. Last night I was resolved to work it all out and do it all myself. I was going to figure EVERYTHING out, and impress Jason with the fact that I'm a capable business owner that doesn't need help. I'm not a damsel in distress. I'm rocking this business thing like no one else!
Then I woke up this morning. Looked at the same papers again. I decided I wanted to crawl in a hole. How much would it cost to just hand over absolutely everything to an expert and in the end have everything done and dealt with? probably much too much.

Taxes just scare me. I feel like if I do one thing wrong... put one receipt in the wrong category, then I'm going to be audited and end up in jail. I mean, isnt that what government stuff sounds like to you? And if you thought my banking phobias were bad... just wait till you find out about my DMV issues. My name is on a list somewhere. A list entitled... "people on this list must be tortured with numerous dmv visits, threats of license revoke-sure, paperwork must be messed up when requesting name change, and all around bad days" So lets be honest. I'm not expecting a pretty picture with my taxes, if I can't even renew my license in 3 visits to the DMV. Government stuff hates me. I, in turn, am not fond of it.

I'm going to go. Eat some lunch. And patiently pray for the desire to do my taxes to flood over me again... lets hope its before April 15th.

3 comments:

  1. I spoke with my favorite tax lawyer (aka my husband) and he said "two words: Turbo Tax." But if you have specific questions, he'd be happy to answer them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Man. He's trying to bring you down.

    ReplyDelete